Today’s Topic Creating a fantasy story from a world
Question from Charles L. in the Facebook Undercroft Group Let to this great topic.
- I have characters – detailed, fun, and ready to go to work in my story
- I have a setting – A vibrant world of myth and monsters
- I have … scenes … maybe … but, here is my empty spot – I have no story.
- Does anyone have advice on how to get my people doing things in my world? Why can I not get a plot outlined?
The bigger benefit for me was increased focus. It was another major issue of mine. However, that is a story for a different day.
Get the stories and hear the tips in this episode of the Worldbuilder’s Anvil Podcast
Listen to Michael and I as we go into this critical topic.
Podcast Show Flow
- Our lies
- I have never written fictional stories
- My stories are no good
- Who am I
- Let me learn about …
- My world is not ready
- After this next level
- I need to wash my hair
- Ask yourself
- Is this something you really need to do?
- Would you want to do it if no one ever read it? If you knew it was never going to be published
- Writer’s write. Write first draft stories until you have one that speaks to you
- F Tactics, F acts just tell a story
- Start with 2 characters,
- A conflict
- Write out a resolution to the conflict
- You are done! You have a story
- Read the story
- Edit it, make notes on what you think it is missing
- Fill in the holes
- Share the story with a friend like Michael. Someone who will not BS you.
- Have them give you feedback
- Add in more words, add in more
- Edit it
- You have now written a story that will start to resemble a finished story! (a couple of drafts done)
The Worldbuilding Task for the Day
Write a first draft story, ignore word count, ignore
2 characters, one area for setting
The Real-world Task for the Day
Go back to episode 142 turn story into a long form story idea
Use Gardul.com/Amazon when shopping online to help support the show
Please take a moment and comment below on this episode. I look forward to hearing from you about your Fantasy Worldbuilding adventures