Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Today's Topic How to create a fantasy magic system that works
Magic is really one of the key features of a fantasy world. Michael and I figured to stay on the ball we should now cover in depth creating a magic system for your fantasy world.
Podcast Show Flow
- Why is magic system framework important?
- Saves time to start storytelling
- Avoid lame Deus ex Machina or a god from a machine
- Creates character conflicts
- Saves time adding detail later
- 1st Rule of Magic: What type of Magic System?
- 2nd Rule of Magic: How is magic powered?
- 3rd Rule of Magic: How magic is used?
- 4th Rule of Magic: Who can use magic?
- 5th Rule of Magic: What can magic not do?
- 6th Rule of Magic: What is the price of Magic?
- 7th Rule of Magic: What happens when magic fails?
- Story warnings
- Magic systems do not make good stories
- Be careful breaking your rules
- Frame the system, track the details as you use it
- Follow your rules as you go forward
- Be careful limiting your system
Please Subscribe, Rate and Review us on iTunes
For complete Fantasy Worldbuilding, show notes go to Gardul.com
The Worldbuilding Task for the Day
Look at your magic system, did you consider all the rules
The Real-world Task for the Day
Join the undercroft and let us know what rules we missed
Use Gardul.com/Amazon when shopping online to help support the show
Write A Functional Magic System
Episode 61: Kurriq Spirit Magic
Episode 64: Baurhdrakkiem Carver Magic
Episode 89: Magic, What helps? What Hurts?
Episode 112: Magic Vs Technology?
Free Daily Focus Planner
Please take a moment and comment below on this episode. I look forward to hearing from you about your Fantasy Worldbuilding adventures
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.