Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Today's Topic – Okay you want to world build a fantasy culture with the mimicking or appropriating
To be honest, this was a tough topic requested by Jonathan in our Facebook group, “The Fantasy Worldbuilder's Undercroft” The tough part of the question is it is two questions. How to create a fantasy culture inspired by culture and How to do to not culturally appropriate. Join Micheal and Jeffery as the talk about worldbuilding a culture without copying or appropriating the culture.
Please Subscribe, Rate and Review us on iTunes
Podcast Show Flow
First will talk about how to avoid appropriation. Inspired by a fashion article, “The Dos and Don’ts of Cultural Appropriation.”
- What is cultural appropriation and is it defacto terrible?
- Realize we live in an area where people are looking for reasons to be outraged. Someone might get outraged no matter what you do.
- There is no checklist to explain to creatives how to prevent cultural appropriation
- Research and have an appreciation for the cultures you are inspired by an opening talk about their influence
- Aviod strict tropes about that culture in your use of the culture
- Talk to people and get their feedback
How to create a fantasy culture inspired by a real-world culture?
- When starting, you should steal cultures and redress them.
- This is for practice
- What you are looking for?
- Focus on patterns, not details
- Where do they live?
- What resources are important to them.
- What do they eat and how do they get their food?
- What do they believe?
- How do they structure their society
- What technology do they have?
- Then look for a place in your world?
- What are the differences in the areas?
- How does magic influence the culture?
- Do they have extra or missing technology?
- Do the natural colors change?
The Worldbuilding Task for the Day
Create an inspired culture and fit it into your world
The Real World task for the day
Stuck in world building? Try the course I am building to sell on Udemy for Free
Use Gardul.com/Amazon when shopping online to help support the show
Please take a moment and comment below on this episode. I look forward to hearing from you about your Fantasy Worldbuilding adventures
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.